Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Body Wisdom


Body Wisdom
by Nancy Nicholas, Holistic Life Coach and Intuitive Healer

Have you ever had one of those times when you are considering a course of action and find yourself experiencing a lot of physical distress? For years, I simply saw this as nervousness on my part and proceeded to override my fears and forge ahead anyway. Usually, I’d end up sick or in a situation that was not good for me.
Finally, after a couple years of polarity therapy, I learned a very vital lesson. My body is wise. In fact, it is the wisest part of me. What I’d taken for weakness was actually a sophisticated warning system trying to let me know that the course of action I was about to pursue was not highest and best for me.This month, I encourage you to try listening to your body. When you notice that it is under stress (heart flutters, tension, stomach ache, tense), instead of pushing forward, stop instead.

Here is a simple procedure to help you start listening and understanding your body’s messages:
1. Return your body to a place of peace. Breathe in for 4 seconds, hold for 4 seconds, exhale for 6 seconds, and hold for 4 seconds. Continue this patterned breathing for three rounds while repeating, “I am safe and all is well.”
2. Imagine the action you are considering. See yourself doing it. How does your body feel? If it is tense or you feel a sudden pain, this is not the highest and best course for you to follow.
3. Continue to imagine different options until you body reacts with peace. Try to think creatively and come up with gentler ways to go forward with your plans. Can you do it on a smaller scale? Is there a way to get the help of others first?
4. Follow through and thank your body for helping you pick the best choice for you. Now that you have gotten the message about what you need, follow through! Don’t be tempted to override this knowledge. You’ll find that the more you do this, the easier it will be for you to select only that which is in your best interest.
Coaching Challenge: Pay attention to your body today. What do you notice about how it feels? What people and places make you feel relaxed and happy? When do you feel tense and upset? Keep a journal and record what you discover.
Take care!
Nancy

No comments: