Sunday, November 25, 2007

Self-Care During the Holidays

Hello Again!

I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving and a restful weekend after! I thought I'd share a few tips about getting through the holidays with your self-care needs intact. I know that I often find it difficult to maintain my normal routine during this time of year. Extra pressures financially and emotionally can make this a challenging time, especially for those who are sensitive.

To help you stay centered and relaxed during this time of year, consider implementing a few of the tips below:

1. Continue to make time for yourself: Don't let the holiday rush lead to skipping on your time to recharge. Write your time on your calendar and stick to it. You'll need it to help you get through the next few weeks without burning out before the holidays. Aim to have a half hour everyday for yourself.

2. Get Outside: I know it is very cold out there (and I personally hate being cold!) but the fresh air is really important to keep our systems healthy. Schedule in daily time outside, even if it is only for 15 minutes. Bundle up and enjoy the crisp air and changing scenery! It's a great time of year to check out the night time sky.

3. Set Limits: This month's Simple Steps Column in Holistic Inspirations is going to be on ways to simplify Christmas and the holidays. One of the important aspects of this is to set limits on spending before you head to the store. There are so many interesting things out there, it is very easy to overspend. Deciding ahead of time how much you are going to spend and then sticking to it will help ease a lot of the tension often associated with the holidays.

4. Watch the cookies!: I absolutely LOVE cookies, but my body does not in anyway love all that sugar. Pay attention to your diet and be sure you continue to drink lots of water and eat a healthy diet that helps you feel good. Keeping yourself feeling healthy and relaxed will also boost your immunity so you can avoid all the germs floating around!

5. Slow Down: I'm a "get things done quickly" sort of person so this step is still a tough one for me, but when I do it I'm amazed at how well it works!. When you feel like your to do list is weighing you down and you'll never get everything done, consider trying something new...do nothing. I know this goes against the grain, but actually taking a break and literally doing nothing (including thinking about all the things you have to do) can go along way towards increasing your energy and your productivity. I didn't make this up...it is actually a proven fact! Give it a try.

Please feel free to share any suggestions you have for a holiday season of self-care! Feel free to post your goals on this topic too! If you'd like to receive monthly tips and tools like this, sign up for Crossroads Coaching News and Holistic Inspirations at our website (CLICK HERE).

Take care,

Nancy

No comments: