Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The 10-10-10 Rule


Start Small… But Think Big

by Cathy Posner



Have you ever (who hasn’t?) been tortured by making a decision and wondering what it’s impact will be? I employ a strategy a friend shared with me. Not much later, I ran across the source article. It was an article written by Suzy Welch in the September 2006 issue of O! Magazine. I have found it a great guideline and tool when facing a difficult decision. I will paraphrase it here:

The 10-10-10 Rule

As you face a difficult decision (and this works for any aspect of your life), ask yourself the following questions:
Will it matter in 10 minutes?
Will it matter in 10 months?
Will it matter in 10 years?
What is the impact of my actions within these timeframes?

You will find that, by using this technique, decisions are often much clearer and easier to make. Issues that we perceive as having long-term or more significant impact on our lives or the lives of others often don’t matter as much as you think in the big picture.

No comments: